Located in the far western ends of Singapore, the rustic areas of District 24 are not a common sight in Singapore. Home to a wide variety of farms, nature reserves, and military camps, with exciting developments in the up-and-coming estate of Tengah, District 24 is full of opportunities for homeowners looking for a different kind of experience.
Situated in the western region of Singapore, District 24 includes:
- Lim Chu Kang: A predominantly rural non-residential neighbourhood that is an eco-tourist attraction with a wide variety of farms in the vicinity, a military base camp, and a cemetery.
- Kranji: A heavily industrial area, home to the Singapore Turf Club, with pockets of private landed residences.
- Tengah: An up-and-coming HDB Town of the future, focused on incorporating smart technologies, and green and sustainable features adjacent to the business districts of the West – the Jurong Lake District and Jurong Innovation District.
Parks and Sports Centres
The Sungei Buloh Wetland Reserve, an ecological wonderland where you can experience birdwatching, strolls through the mangrove wetlands through wooden walkways, and the Kranji Marshes, are two main existing green hotspots in District 24.
Parks aside, there are plenty of farms in the vicinity for you to get up close and personal with nature too. Some of the most popular farms include Hay Dairies (goat farm), Jurong Frog Farm, Bollywood Veggies Singapore (organic farm and eatery), and Qian Hu Fish Farm, amongst others.
While the estates of Lim Chu Kang and Kranji do not currently have any sporting facilities, the estate of Tengah is expected to include an integrated sports hub like most new HDB estates to cater to the massive population expected to reside in the area.
Considering that the rural districts of Kranji and Lim Chu Kang have yet to undergo any significant residential developments over the years, the district has managed to preserve quite a number of historical attractions.
These include the Kranji Army Barracks, a POW camp in the Japanese Occupation period, the defunct Kranji Railway that used to link Singapore and Malaysia, the Kranji War Cemetery and Memorial which commemorates the valiant men and women who fought for Singapore, Thow Kwang Industry, the last surviving dragon kiln in Singapore, and even the site of where the Japanese forces first arrived in Singapore during the WWII invasion.
Schools, Libraries, and Other Public Facilities
Most public amenities in District 24 are expected to be heavily concentrated within the new neighbourhood of Tengah.
Slated to be completed by 2023, the government has announced many exciting plans that showcase Tengah as the “HDB town of the future”, so residents have lots to look forward to!
Some exciting features to look forward to in Tengah include:
- A 5 km forest corridor around the district
- Underground roads and cycling tracks for easy walking and cycling around the neighbourhood
- Farmways (plots for farming) for communal farming by the residents
- A massive central park with a lake for recreational water activities
- New schools to cater to Tengah families
- And of course, the typical integrated sports hub, medical hub, and more that are present in most HDB estates
Food & Beverages (F&B) and Retail Options
As with most HDB estates, there will no lack of F&B and retail options with newly established neighbourhood centres, hawker centres, and malls.
On top of that, residents of District 24, particularly Tengah, will be able to enjoy easy access to the Western region of Singapore, namely Jurong, which is a bustling and vibrant neighbourhood, full of shopping and lifestyle amenities.
Future MRT Connectivity
Currently, the district is served only by one MRT station, Kranji MRT, that is about to change. Concurrently with the Tengah developments, there is ongoing work on the Jurong Region Line, which will have 4 out of 24 stations, serving the Tengah neighbourhood.