Nestled along the greenery of the Bukit Timah Nature Reserve and the adjacent education centre down south, District 21 is very much a juxtaposition of two very different neighbourhoods next door to each other – one a tranquil and peaceful enclave close to nature, the other a bustling and thriving education hub.
Situated in the south-western region of Singapore, District 21 includes:
- Clementi: A public residential estate, home to plenty of educational institutions, and often also known as a “university town” due to the National University of Singapore (NUS) located in the neighbourhood.
- Upper Bukit Timah: Not to be confused with the prestigious District 10’s Bukit Timah, Upper Bukit Timah, being further off from the cluster of reputable schools, and nearer to nature, is considered less “atas” but has its unique charms as a private residential enclave.
Parks and Sports Centres
For lovers of nature and greenery, District 21 makes for a perfect choice with its proximity to multiple parks nearby.
Residents of Upper Bukit Timah have multiple nature parks to get their daily dose of nature – from the Bukit Batok Nature Park which has a quarry, the Rail Corridor, Hindhede Nature Park, Dairy Farm Nature Park, and of course the massive Bukit Timah Nature Reserve.
Residents of Clementi on the other hand, have the main park, Clementi Woods Park, but also enjoy the proximity to the long stretch of West Coast Park along the coastline and all its amazing amenities.
When it comes to sports centres, Clementi has its very own ActiveSG Sports Centre, and Swimming Complex, while Upper Bukit Timah being a largely private estate, has its fair share of gyms and fitness centres all over the neighbourhood.
Schools, Libraries, and Other Public Facilities
With the high concentration of educational institutions in the district, it’s easy to see why District 21 is a big draw for family-oriented homeowners who do not mind living further away from the city centre.
Some of the top schools in the district include:
- Primary schools like Clementi Primary School, Pei Tong Primary School, Qifa Primary School, and Nan Hua Primary School, amongst others
- Secondary schools like Clementi Town Secondary School, Tanglin Secondary School, Kent Ridge Secondary School, Nan Hua High School, New Town Secondary, and the NUS High School of Mathematics and Science.
- Tertiary and pre-tertiary institutions include Ngee Ann Polytechnic, Singapore Polytechnic, SIM Headquarters, Singapore University of Social Sciences (SUSS), and the National University of Singapore (NUS)
That aside, residents also can enjoy public amenities like the Clementi Public Library, an air-conditioned bus interchange linked to the MRT station, community centres, and more.
Food & Beverages (F&B) and Retail Options
As with most Singaporean neighbourhoods, cheap local fare can be found at nearby hawker centres and food courts. In District 21, some of the popular hawker joints include West Coast Food Centre, Clementi 448 Market & Food Centre, and the Ayer Rajah Food Centre.
Other popular areas include eateries along the Cheong Chin Nam road for supper, Korean food along Lorong Kilat or within Beauty World Centre, or casual restaurants at the new HillV2 mall.
For retail and entertainment options, there’s a wide variety of suburban malls like Clementi Mall, HillV2, Bukit Timah Shopping Centre, Beauty World Centre, KAP Mall, and Beauty World Plaza to suit your every need.
Great Connectivity Via Public Transport
The private enclave of Upper Bukit Timah is served by 3 MRT stations along the Downtown line while the bustling hub that is Clementi is served by the East-West line, one stop away from the major interchange that is Jurong East.